Saturday, June 19, 2010

Encouraging Thoughts

I was going to post this earlier in the week, but thought that I would still pass it along to hopefully encourage you.

Both my mom and my grandma are good writers, and they have both written poems recently that they have passed on to me this week. My grandpa also passed on an encouraging poem that I thought I would share with you. I have included the different Bible verses they gave me in The Message version, as that is one of Craig's favourite versions.

From Grandma:

Jeremiah 32:17 “Dear God, my Master, you created earth and sky by your great power—by merely stretching out your arm! There is nothing you can't do.”

Jeremiah 32:27 “Stay alert! I am God, the God of everything living. Is there anything I can't do?”

Jeremiah 33:3 “'Call to me and I will answer you. I'll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own.'”


Is anything too hard for Thee, Thou God of all creation?
Nay, everything about Thee is beyond our comprehension.

With Thee all things are possible - when we come to Thee in prayer
Thine ear is listening for our cries; Thou knowest every care.

Nothing is too hard for Thee, petitions great or small;
Thy love and grace are ever near to help us through them all.

We bow in thankfulness our God, that from Thy lofty throne
In tenderness Thou lookest down and carest for Thine own.

Oh God who made the moon, the sun, the sparkling stars above;
We thank Thee Thou are waiting still to bless us with Thy love.


Also in the New Testament we have the same expression in
Mark 10:27 “Jesus was blunt: 'No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it.'” WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!


From Grandpa:

"Life's Weaving"


Life is but a weaving
between my God and me;
I may not choose the colours,
...He knows what they should be.

For He can view the pattern
Upon the upper side,
While I can see it only
On this, the under side.

Sometimes He weaveth sorrow,
Which seemeth strange to me;
But I will trust His judgement,
And work on faithfully.

'Tis He who fills the shuttle,
He knows just what is best;
So I shall weave in earnest
And leave with Him the rest.

At last, when life is ended,
With Him I shall abide,
And I may view the pattern
Upon the upper side,

Then I shall know the reason
Why pain with joy entwined,
Was woven in the fabric
Of life that God designed.

Author Unknown

From Mom:

1 Samuel 7:12 – Samuel took a single rock and set it upright....He named it 'Ebenezer' (Rock of Help), saying, “This marks the place where God helped us.”

In addition to giving me this poem, she gave me a little smooth stone with the word Ebenezer written on it and this Bible reference on the other side. This way I can hold it in my hand and remember that God is in control, and I can remember all the people who are praying.

EBENEZER

This stone you hold is rather tiny,
Not colourful or bright and shiny.
But it's a special stone, you see,
A gift of love for you, from me.
My prayer is when you see this stone,
You'll remember you are not alone.
The Lord is with you everyday,
To help you all along life's way.
So even though it's rather tiny,
Not colourful or bright and shiny.
It's message always will be true,
He's more than able to help you!


Many of you have also shared verses and poems with me, and I appreciate that so much. We read Psalm 91 to Craig a few times when we went to visit him, and it was/is an encouragement to all of us.


Psalm 91


You who sit down in the High God's presence,
spend the night in Shaddai's shadow,
Say this: "God, you're my refuge.
I trust in you and I'm safe!"
That's right—he rescues you from hidden traps,
shields you from deadly hazards.
His huge outstretched arms protect you—
under them you're perfectly safe;
his arms fend off all harm.
Fear nothing—not wild wolves in the night,
not flying arrows in the day,
Not disease that prowls through the darkness,
not disaster that erupts at high noon.
Even though others succumb all around,
drop like flies right and left,
no harm will even graze you.
You'll stand untouched, watch it all from a distance,
watch the wicked turn into corpses.
Yes, because God's your refuge,
the High God your very own home,
Evil can't get close to you,
harm can't get through the door.
He ordered his angels
to guard you wherever you go.
If you stumble, they'll catch you;
their job is to keep you from falling.
You'll walk unharmed among lions and snakes,
and kick young lions and serpents from the path.
"If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
"I'll get you out of any trouble.
I'll give you the best of care
if you'll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;
I'll rescue you, then throw you a party.
I'll give you a long life,
give you a long drink of salvation!"



Love,
Kristin for Craig too

3 comments:

  1. what beautiful thoughts to hold on to.
    praying for you daily

    ReplyDelete
  2. That version of psalm 91 is wonderful. Thank you for sharing that Kristin. Even the most difficult of times God is shining through you giving peace to everyone else. Thinking of you often.

    Michelle Mack

    ReplyDelete
  3. After my mother passed away last summer, one of the ministers in her church gave me a small handmade wooden cross just like one he had given her a year before she died. The one he gave her was cremated with her, but he thought I, her only child who is currently walking with God, would be comforted by having it. I haven't yet found a home for it, so it's still in the envelope he gave it to me in, and whenever I come across it, I think of my mother, but in a good way. She lost her 3-year battle with cancer, but she is now healed and living with God. I miss her so terribly, as I'm sure you miss your husband, but I also have so very many good memories to hold onto. I hope the stone your mother gave you can from time to time remind you of God's perfect love for both you and Craig.
    Allison, a foreigner in Korea who came across your story on Facebook

    ReplyDelete