Friday, June 11, 2010

1000 Paper Cranes

An ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by a crane, such as long life or recovery from illness or injury.

There is a children's book called, Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes (based on a true story). When Craig was in elementary school, I think Grade 3, they read this book in his class. The story is about a girl who has cancer and, inspired by the crane starts to fill her days by folding paper cranes while she is in the hospital. After reading this story, Craig's class made 1000 paper cranes.

Craig has told me this story several times, and I recently learned how to make paper cranes myself. To help pass the time and to cheer Craig up when he wakes up, I am going to make 1000 paper cranes. My Korean friends are helping me, and think it will be a good project to help pass the time at the hospital.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you are finding something do to while you wait. It is so you to do this for Craig that he can see all these when he wakes up! If I was there and knew how to make them I would be right there beside you folding away! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When a friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer, I folded cranes and wrote a prayer in each one of them. Every time I was tempted to worry, I folded and prayed instead. Every single one of those little birds had a prayer folded up inside it. Some of them were thanksgiving, some requests, some laments and questions, but all written to the only One who ultimately brings the healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I had leukemia a while back Yisel (with input from many Heritage students and staff) wrote little daily smile cards. She then sent the box to me while I was recovering and it really brought great joy each day to see who had written. I'm sure the cranes will do the same and he'll love them. I can imagine how colourful there are and how many orange ones (being with your personality) they'll definitely make him smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love the story of 1000 Paper Cranes ,,what a beautiful and thoughtful project to do for Craig. I can only imagine the look on his face when he opens his eyes to see what you and your friends have done for him

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Chris Maybery(simmons)SNOWWISJune 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM

    I'm floored at what a wonderful,lucky,man my nephew is to have such a thoughtful wife even at a hard hard situation you too are going through Thankyou kristin for making my nephew so happy!!! Loveyou!!!

    ReplyDelete