Saturday, February 5, 2011

Winter 2011

Dear Family and Friends,

Well, it's been a while since I have written an update, and my life has completely changed since the last one. Craig has been gone for seven months now, and some days it doesn't seem like it has been very long, and some days it seems like it's been forever since I have been with him. But I know that he is happy and healthy, and knowing that I am trying to keep moving forward. Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, encouragement, and continued friendship through this time.

I have actually kept rather busy since I have been home from Korea. I went on a weekend vacation with my family in August down to Pennsylvania, and we had a pretty good time. I was able to go and spend some time in Iowa with my best friend and her family in September, and it was so nice to be able to catch up with her. I ended up going to Papua New Guinea (PNG) with my dad for 7 weeks in October, and it was a really good time. It was nice to be back and see people that I hadn't seen in 6 years. There were some very healing moments as well. I spent 2 weeks while I was there volunteering at the Wewak International School. It was quite the experience. I really enjoyed it though, and I loved the kids in my class. I was with the youngest ones (age 4-6). I also spent about 2 weeks in the Highlands, where I attended high school. It really felt like I was going home. I even stayed with a couple I lived with in Grade 10.

Since coming back from PNG in early December, I have been accepted as an Associate with New Tribes Mission, and Lord willing I will be heading back to PNG in July 2011 for 2 years as a teacher. I will be teaching Grade 1 the first year and then hopefully Kindergarten the next year. When I was in PNG this fall, I was able to spend a lot of time at the school with the current Grade 1 teacher. It was wonderful. She is very organized and her classroom is a dream to step into. I was able to take a lot of pictures and read over the curriculum and just watch her teach. I was also able to meet the kids in Kindergarten this year, as they will be my students next year, so that was really special.

Over the next few months, before I head off to PNG, I will be spending some time visiting friends that I have not seen for a while (from being in Korea), and who I will not see (for being in PNG). I will be spending some of my time in the States, and some in Eastern Canada. During the time that I am here, in Muskoka, I will be volunteering at the Christian school in my area. I am excited about this, as I love to be in the classroom, and it gives me a chance to glean some wisdom from the teachers there, as I prepare to teach in the summer.

Recently, I have been encouraged by something author Kelly Minter wrote, "Although there will be weeping in this life, the direction in which we weep is what truly matters." The sad of losing Craig is still there, and it probably will be there for a long time; however, I know that he is where the Lord needs him, and I am where the Lord needs me. There are still days that are full of tears, and while I get tired of crying, I am trying to weep forward. Please continue to keep me in your prayers as I:

-Work on PNG paperwork for my Visa and work permit
-Raise my monthly support for living in PNG
-Learn how to live, and laugh again in this new phase of my life

Thank you again for your prayers and support as I plan to go teach in Papua New Guinea. Because of the part you have played in my life, I am able to step out in faith in this new adventure.

Love,
Kristin Simmons




Donor Information: www.ntm.org
NTM Canada
Box 707
Durham, ON, N0G 1R0
519-369-2622

NTM USA
1000 E. First Street
Sanford, FL, 32771
407-323-3430

1 comment:

  1. So wonderful to hear from you Kristin. You continue to come into my mind, heart then prayers. If you come this way at all, please give me a call.
    Love Monica, AKA Duck's mom

    ReplyDelete